Old Time Radio at OTRCat!

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

2014






For all the fireworks and pop bands and incipient hangovers, tomorrow will not be "a new year". It will be Wednesday, like most all previous Wednesdays. That it falls in This Year Of Our Lord 2014 is fairly meaningless. It is Wednesday. A day. A day that you can fill with the glorious or the ignoble; it is entirely up to you. It will be a "happy new year" if you so choose to live it as such, tomorrow, and all the fifty-one subsequent Wednesdays. And the Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays...all the following three hundred and sixty-four days. Each day, lived one day at a time, as a happy day, or a full day, or a creative day, or a good day.

This is the day the LORD has made. Let us rejoice, and be glad in it.

Happy Wednesday.

6 comments:

Rigel Kent said...

Though it's the wrong holiday, I have to say your post has an almost Scrooge-like quality to it.

If I say happy new year, will you respond "Bah Humbug"?

I'm willing to risk it.

Happy new year!

Doom said...

Happy New Years!

But... Gah! It's that day again already? Somebody ought to remind me that these things are about to happen. :p

The Aardvark said...

BA-

Nah. That would be a validation.
----------
No, I was just thinking about the whole "portal into NEW" as Dec.31/Jan.1 is presented. I thought to myself "There is no "new year". There is only a tomorrow (maybe). The only thing the assemblage of 365 potential tomorrows offers is the chance to apply ourselves well to each, one at a time. No magical "NEW YEAR!" of change. Just a day at a time, and the results for me are mainly dependent upon me, and how I use the day.

It was actually far more upbeat than I had intended originally.

So Happy New Year right back atcha!

You humbug....

(I have been perusing your Blogfodder writing. Très amusant!)

The Aardvark said...

@Doom-
Your engraved invitation was returned as undeliverable.

Happy New Year

Or day...

Wednesday.

Rigel Kent said...

"It was actually far more upbeat than I had intended originally."

Gee, what happened? Did the tears of the geese that you use to make your quill pens smudge the first draft?

Seriously though, I kind of see your point. The whole new year thing is artificial. It's a little lie that we tell ourselves that we can start fresh. That the past can be, if not forgotten, at least put behind us. Until we make the same old mistakes all over again.

The thing is, I think it's kind of a necessary lie. Something that helps us keep going when all rationality says to stop. And sometimes, not often-but sometimes, somebody does do something good with that fresh start.

Rigel Kent said...

(I have been perusing your Blogfodder writing. Très amusant!)

Thanks. I've been trying to get into the habit of doing it regularly. Not only has it been good for my writing, but it feels good to get certain things off of my chest.

And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than therapy.