Old Time Radio at OTRCat!

Saturday, March 08, 2014

Obligatory.



I'm getting hammered...and not in the putatively good way. Blog spam, those friendly attaboys praising my perspicacity and phraseology, with a "by the way, here is MY blog..." normally featuring "Xanax" or "Enlargement" in the link.

It has been a busy week, with a 1000+ wholesale order for our own 'Varky designs, local printing, Ukraine, and West Coast mutations. I do not have a boring life, fer shure. Had to put off the blogradio thing for a week, but I am scheduled for 10PM Monday night (CDT) for two glorious hours. I'll put up the link. It also has an archive feature, so that you may download and audition at your leisure. Here at the start, I do not have a toll-free number. If I can glom onto a sponsor, that will be the first upgrade.

MeTV is a load of dingo's kidneys tonight, so I am forgoing the usual soberblog of that trainwreck. Running DVDs while I print is what keeps me what we laughingly call sane, and I have had a good run of them. I finally saw Invaders From Mars, the wonderful '50s cold-war freakout flick. It will likely be featured in my first 'cast, along with kvetching about Hanford, our very own Fukushima-in-waiting. Then we'll get to the serious stuff. Finally saw The Giant Claw, which utterly transcends the "could be worse" category. Even with the marionette monster, it is an engaging movie, with more science than technobabble.



The creature reminds me most of monsters from the Anderson series Fireball XL5.

That said, it's nice that Bill Cosby got work on XL5.



Why has no one done a serious movie or TV series treatment of Blish's Cities in Flight, the tales of the Okie cities borne aloft on anti gravity engines called spindizzies? Oh, I said "serious". They would see the word "spindizzy" and think it a madcap comedy.
--------------------
I have long posited that the True Sign of the Coming End is not trumpets in the sky, and supercomputers in Brussels, but Japanese companies ceasing to produce PVC collectible Evangelion figures with no relevance to the series...geisha Rei...like that.









Or that.

On the other hand, the cause of the death of humankind is clear. Steven Moffat and Joss Whedon will collaborate on a project, written by George R.R. Martin.

Sweet dreams!








8 comments:

Doom said...

I don't get it all, as with Michael's articles, but I get enough and you swing it enough that I giggle, babble, or guffaw right along with you... like junior might!

While, like that muppet monster show? Sometimes hard to watch some parts, believability takes a hit. But, having said that, sometimes I am absolutely impressed with the rest of some of those 'old shows'. What many viewers lack, and are paying for, is any imagination of their own. So they get glitzy nothing movies, with pretty faces and neat devices, but nothing else. Bleh.

Oh, glad to hear you are too busy to remember you aren't sane! *pouts* Jealous. :) Keep up the good work.

Jay said...

Yes, blog spam. Get it all the time. I like the way their command of English gives them away.

You've never seen Invaders From Mars or The Giant Claw before? Got 'em myself, watch 'em all the time. La Cacana! (Es caca!).

One day, Rei will have had enough and intiate Third Impact (Thanks to the "rebuilds", it might be Fourth Impact.).

That or Haruhi will "rewrite" the universe.

The Aardvark said...

@Doom -- Shoot. I forgot to include trailers. I'll put 'em up. The Giant Claw was a live-action movie. The monster was the LAST THING done in production, so no-one knew what they were reacting to.

The star, Jeff Morrow reacted badly to the movie's reception:

Morrow later confessed in an interview that no one in the film knew what the titular monster looked like until the film's premiere. Morrow himself first saw the film in his hometown, and hearing the audience laugh every time the monster appeared on screen, he left the theater early, embarrassed that anyone there might recognize him (he allegedly went home and began drinking). (Wikipedia)

@Jay -- I love the ones who congratulate me on the excellence of my "web blog".

Haruhi? Haruhi?

Isn't she in a cartoon show?

Michael W said...

After that comment concerning "by the way, here is MY blog" I am, naturally enough, cautious about mentioning this. But considering that mention was made of "The Giant Claw" . . .

http://www.examiner.com/review/the-giant-claw

Blish has always been one of those authors (along with Keith Laumer, Kate Wilhelm and Lois McMaster Bujold) whose works I'd like to see adapted As Well As Humanly Possible.

The Aardvark said...

An amusing romp, there, Michael!

I was taken by the breathless gee-whiz, mu mesons and antimatter sciencey stuff. I WAS amazed at the Scientist's ability to divine a galaxy millions of light years from hours. Science seemed to work better back then.

It REALLY could have been a better movie for little more budget, or perhaps little more thought.

Perhaps Sears had a nephew who was into puppetry....

Michael W said...

Don't you just love the science from SF movies of the 1950s? I mean . . . well naturally if you stick that person under some electric rays he'll eventually take on the aspect of an alligator. Drop a bucket of something . . . oh, we'll call it "omega particles" . . . on top of the giant extraterrestrial killer robot and it'll just blow itself up.

And then there were computers from the 1950s. More fun than watching a construction site.

The Aardvark said...

"I WAS amazed at the Scientist's ability to divine a galaxy millions of light years from hours"

I could say I meant "from mere hours of study", but I didn't.

My finger stuttered on the keyboard.

"Ours".

Jay said...

Congratulations on excellency of you're weblog. Going to recommend to all friends. How you get such koool webblog dezine/grafffix!? Oh! By away! Heer is checkout my weblog haruhiisgodandyoubetterbelieveityoumylittleponymongeringinfidelyou.com