Old Time Radio at OTRCat!

Thursday, November 22, 2007

HAPPY THANKSGIVING...and a Pox upon "Turkey Day"


What private property does -- as the Pilgrims discovered -- is connect effort to reward, creating an incentive for people to produce far more. Then, if there's a free market, people will trade their surpluses to others for the things they lack. Mutual exchange for mutual benefit makes the community richer.
Secure property rights are the key. When producers know that their future products are safe from confiscation, they will take risks and invest. But when they fear they will be deprived of the fruits of their labor, they will do as little as possible.
That's the lost lesson of Thanksgiving. -- John Stossel


I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for the few friends I have - few being more a function of my busy-ness than of inherent unloveability - and for the business we have been so blessed with. I am thankful for this nation, and for the wisdom of its Founders, and for men like Ron Paul and even (!) Neal Boortz who strive to point us back to their instruction and example. For God, the Gifts of His Son and the Holy Spirit, and the church for whom Christ died. I am thankful for that empty tomb.

I am also thankful for the readers here, who make this less an exercise in futility and hubris.

I am NOT thankful for the waggish term "Turkey Day", a noisome term coined by comics wishing a hat-tip to the day, but with none of the attendant theistic baggage. It is flip, and unworthy.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

David The Good said...

I too loathe the banality of "Turkey Day."

Hooray for Thanksgiving... and the God that label implies.

Happy "Thanksgiving to our Almighty Creator" day.