Old Time Radio at OTRCat!

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Herein lies the trouble with RESOLUTIONS: make one and Hell and Earth all conspire to get in your way!

I don't know if it's the FLU, or some anonymous virus trying to make a name for itself, but boy, I've been hit hard. The arm is all better, though. I've not had the oomph to sit and keyboard any coherent thoughts. Of course, incoherent raving does offer some entertainment value!

The good news is that having the epizoodic frees me to do what I love...to read a book at one sitting. I read Michael Crichton's PREY. Really enjoyed it, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was reading...A SCREENPLAY!. (well, DUH) I begin to suspect the I ching method of writing: you throw the sticks, and then write what they say. One character in particular was screaming "Nedry, NEDRY!!!" as I read. Mr. Crichton, Wayne Knight has lost weight. Let's move on to another techie stereotype.
Despite this, I found it to be a good read. The screenplay feeling reasserts itself as you read descriptions of the different phenomena the protagonists are seeing. I can almost hear the keystrokes of scores of CGI programmers as they create
the filmic images which Crichton evokes. The concept of nanobiotic devices is masterfully handled, and believably so.
I personally grow weary of "F-bombs" as a mechanism for portraying gritty realism, though.

Long story short: re-read The Andromeda Strain.

Oh, the resolution? Just to write 5 postings a week.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

No comments: