Old Time Radio at OTRCat!

Saturday, March 10, 2007

John Edwards--SUPERSTAR

One of the first projects I undertook when I became a Christian as a teen was to do a line-by-line comparison of Jesus Christ Superstar to what the Gospels actually taught. Now, I LOVED the rock opera (and as a musical work, I still do), but that exercise revealed the paucity of Biblical knowledge that Webber and Rice enjoyed. (Yes, I understand, they were NOT writing a Bible study program, rather a Jesus as feckless revolutionary who let it get out of hand, and Judas as hero, whose effort to "save" Jesus also goes awry. Then there is the "I Don't Know How To Love Him" Magdalen bit. If there had been no JCS, there would be no da Vinci Code.) It also set a pattern for me, in that I do my best to insist on Biblical authority for what I teach and do, which is why my reliance upon grace is so important, as I blow it with astounding frequency.

In the words of Charles Simpson, "I'm not where I ought to be, but praise God, I'm not where I used to be!".

Now I have NEVER seen the like: amazing ignorance of Jesus and His teaching cascading from the lips of commentators and politicos alike. (unless it was the time the Press was shocked and amazed that Jesus had something to do with the Jews, as revealed in "The Passion of the Christ".) It's kind of an "Everything I Learned About Jesus Wasn't Really About Jesus But Was Twaddle I Learned In Kindergarten" moment.

WA-A-A-A-Y back in olden times, the disciples of Socrates, f'rinstance, would write whole dialogues, and posthumously attribute them to old hemlock-breath, sort of philosophical fanfic.
Jesus is getting the same treatment from the political hacks of today. John Edwards is asserting that Jesus would be ashamed of the You-Ess-of-Ay:

During an interview with the faith and spirituality website Beliefnet.com, Edwards, who unsuccessfully ran for the Democratic presidential bid in 2004, said ""I think that Jesus would be disappointed in our ignoring the plight of those around us who are suffering and our focus on our own selfish short-term needs...I think he would be appalled, actually.


He also asserts that our lack of National Healthcare would wring tears from the Son of God.
The focus on the Nation is telling. The liberal mindset operates in terms of Groups, the masses.

Jesus championed the individual. Our relationship with God, one-on-one through Christ, certainly joins us to the church, but we still stand before God on our own. Come Judgment Day, we each of us will stand before Christ as individuals. I will not be able to hide with My Group.
Jesus commands ME to do alms, to give, to help, to teach. He works through relationships, not Groupthink. America is not a Christian nation, by definition it cannot be. America cannot be A Christian. It is incumbent therefore that we individual Christians do our part where charity and helps are concerned.

Proverbs 19:17, "He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again."


I like the "Message" rendering:

Mercy to the needy is a loan to God, and God pays back those loans in full.


That is so neat.

If you are a Christian, you have a responsibility to help the poor. Specifically help fellow believers first and foremost:

And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith. Gal.6:9-10



Certainly we should help unbelievers who ask, but not to the hurt of our brethren. (Not to appear crass, but the care Christians have one for another can and SHOULD be a potent incentive for becoming a member of God's Family.)

Matthew 5:42, "Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away."

John Edwards is pulling "Jesus" fanfic from his nethers, and what Edwards is saying is worth precisely that. Allow Jesus to suggest what all of the weepers from the Left who are interested in directing MY charity by robbing me through taxation and giving MY money in "our" name, while keeping their houses and lands, and carbon footieprints can do:

So when Jesus heard these things, He said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
(Luke 18:22)


In the words of Stan Lee: 'Nuff said!


5 comments:

Giraffe said...

There is just enough truth in what he said. We don't take good enough care of the poor, and we are selfish and materialistic.

I wonder how anyone can take a pro-choice 'Christian' seriously.

The Aardvark said...

Not sure what you mean. the poor here are wealthy compared to the world norm. Why do you think there are so many footieprints across the Rio Grande? As a nation, we are the leaders in world charity, and no-one need go hungry here. Food banks, local churches, soup kitchens, kindly neighbors. This does not count Welfare, Food Stamps (EBT), WIC and other public helps. Granted, some are loath to avail themselves of the help that is there. (I have heard of "principled" folk who would not go to a soup kitchen 'cos "they just want to cram a sermon down your throat". If I were hungry enough, I would listen to a Scientologist!

I love a good larf.

This is not aimed at you, honest.
When I hear the "selfish" bit, it is generally from those who are low on the Charity Meter.
(Politicians and celebs, f'rinstance.)

All Christians are on different places on the Kingdom Continuum. Had a sister in Christ who firmly held that aborting those babies was a good thing: no telling WHAT kind of life they would have, being unwanted and all, and besides, they would go to Heaven. Win-Win.

I understand her wooley thinking, but disagree in that the Act itself is unLawful and cruel.

Can't see Jesus handin' out NARAL pamphlets...

Giraffe said...

Your right. Our poor are rich compared to the rest of the world's poor I guess.

It just raises my hackles a bit when I hear pro-abortion people quoting the bible. And Edwards wasn't trying to get the church to look after the poor, he wanted the government to do it. Maybe that is his church.

The Aardvark said...

Edwards wasn't trying to get the church to look after the poor, he wanted the government to do it. Maybe that is his church.

Give that man a SEE-gar!
That is pellucid.
The Give-mint is Church.
The politicians are the priests and acolytes, and the proffered goodies, the sacraments.

And April 15 is when they pass the plate.

Well played, feller-me-lad!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.