Old Time Radio at OTRCat!

Friday, June 17, 2016

In the tweet of the night.


Here is my latest sausage sermon (good wherever you slice it!)

We have been SCREAMINGLY busy. Lots of all-nighters for me!

--------------------

Had to print some tonight. Watched the 1959 "Battle in Outer Space", a Honda-directed SF fest with a great score by Ifukube! It was Toho's "STAR WARS", with outstanding effect work. Holds up even by today's standards.




---------------------

I fear that I am about to hit the "caring" wall.

---------------------

It endlessly amazes me that people who boast of never reading the Bible because of X or Y, always claim to know so much about it.
Also, please, please, PLEASE!
The title of the last book is "Revelation".
Singular, NOT plural. If you are a preacher or author, and you start burbling about the "Book of Revelations", the TV, radio or my ears get turned off. I mean, if you can't get the TITLE right....

-----------------------

Dear, dear politicians.
Please stop speaking for God.
Clearly, you cannot even speak for your constituents.

-----------------------

For those who aren't familiar, "The train is fine." is from an Onion video featuring an "on the spectrum" reporter on the scene of an accident involving a man hit by a train. The reporter focuses on HIS interest, and reassures all that the train is fine.
Anyone missing the point in a comment, or focusing on the irrelevant, is therefore fair game for "The train is fine.".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuVVlSgYLc


-------------------------


Dear, dear radio and TV preachers.
If you are broadcasting (or webcasting) to present the Good News of Jesus' love, mercy and forgiveness, His providing the way back into The Family, and reuniting us with Father, then have at it. That's called Being An Evangelist.
If, however, you are ranting great rants about the Hatred du Jour, and slathering your opinion that this or that news item is a Sign Of God's Judgment, and finger-pointing in the name of Christ, then shut your gob. That's called Being an Ass.
Paul, MEAN old Paul, did NOT behave in that way. Jesus did not teach that way, and if you don't use the Master's methods, then you surely will not get His results. In fact, you call into question the adoption you would claim.

---------------------------

If what you have to say sounds like you would be at home with those who yell "Allahu Akbar" before pressing the bomb switch, then it is likely that you are not actually representing the Gospel of Christ.

---------------------------

Perhaps my favorite proverb (From Prov. 24).
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls;
when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice,
or the Lord will see and disapprove
and turn his wrath away from them."

Aardvark's paraphrase: Don't take joy in your enemy's calamity, lest the LORD change his mind about you.".


-----------------------------


Ms. Uber-home-seller-realtor-person on the radio:
Your tagline "I want to be your house-sold name." is memorable.
Memorably lame.

-----------------------------



-------------------------

It makes PERFECT sense for people to be outraged over the death of the gorilla. We live in a culture that for over 40 years has lionised the practise of killing the unborn in horrifying and brutal ways, ways that make waterboarding seem like a Six Flags ride. My issue is not even whether abortion is right or wrong. At this point, it is LEGAL, and an inherent part of the culture. This carries with it social and psychological consequences. If infants at whatever pre-natal stage may be disposed of at will, whether for reasons of health, or for the mere convenience of those who made it, this is going to lead to a diminishing of the value of human children in the minds of some. It only makes sense that members of a generation that has had easy availability of abortion would develop a disregard for the value of children, children being a disposable commodity. And I am not saying that all of the generation feel this way, but enough do, and water their pillows over a gorilla's death.


---------------------------



----------------------------

Why does ANYONE get cranked about Harbor Freight?
Chinese quality tools, like screwdrivers that are stripped by the third use.
I AM EXCITE!

---------------------------

The consistent antagonising of Russia (and China to a lesser degree) by Fearless Leader and his cronies is unwise, given that they are both nuclear powers, and Russia having a "surrender or fight" mentality.
Having Army leadership proclaim that we could be in a nuclear confrontation with Russia within six months is sabre-rattling of the worst sort, especially when they have done nothing overt to be an "existential threat" to the US.

--------------------------

It's not "persay".
IT'S "PER SE"!!!

--------------------------

Why is it that the BEST Italian restaurants are run by Greeks?

--------------------------

I am so sad that Lewis Carroll did such a poor job of writing his stories that Tim Burton has had to take the time to fix them.

--------------------------









7 comments:

Michael W said...

"Battle In Outer Space". An absolute classic out of the Toho studio. Even better than "The Mysterians" (which some say was a prequel to this film). Best Eiji Tsuburaya beam-weapon animation (which is saying a lot!). The news that one of the defending squadrons is being launched from Texas never fails to raise a smile on me.

Perhaps my favorite proverb (From Prov. 24).
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls;
when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice,
or the Lord will see and disapprove
and turn his wrath away from them."

Which was apparently adapted by David Goyer for "Blade II" when he had Thomas Kretschmann remark: "It has been said, 'Be proud of your enemy and enjoy his success.'

A lot of classic World War III, threatened World War III and/or post-Apocalyptic fiction began with war breaking out between Russia and China (including a nicely watchable 1968 adaptation of Morris West's novel "The Shoes of the Fisherman"). Here's hoping the prophetic reflex is quashed in this case.

I feel sad for Tim Burton. Truly. He really needs to severely back away and try to regain his mojo (and, while I'm at it: Johnny Depp, PLEASE FIND OTHER ROLES TO PLAY). The last thing I enjoyed from Burton (and that's been in quite a while) was the nice way The Moody Blues' "Nights in White Satin" were employed in the opening credits to the otherwise dreary "Dark Shadows" (you hear me, Depp?).

Take a breath. You deserve it.

Doom said...

The caring wall, like hunger, pain (of all sorts), joy, and such? It's a good thing. I tell you because, as if I know you, I might a bit, I do care for some. I am on my fortieth of fiftieth hit of that wall. Get's a little hard to keep track. And yet, thanks to God, it hasn't ruined my sense of care, only greatly refined it. The dross falls away, more and more, until your care becomes as righteous as your will... it is prayed.

Hate on me at your pleasure. I have read the N.T. six times, the O.T. three times (although, at times, I question what I gained... most of the time I realize I opened myself to the sun and stars... while I can't see it looking away, it is hoped that others can see the mark it left... I have called it Revelations since my first reading... in sixth grade (N.T. only). Not as a corruption of the title, or mishearing, but because there isn't just on revelation. I'll try to fix that. Just hold the wrath, mate?

I like "the tain is fine" thing swell. It is what I think the news is today. The only reason to even view news is to see what isn't being said... black holes, such as black on white, muslim on white, violence, violence in the gay community... and illness and other problems, any issue that proves that the way things are and are being pushed are proving to be worse than just fruitless, barren, but on to destructive. Finding the lie in the truth isn't a problem anymore, it's finding any truth. Too bad too few understand that term as you present it, if from another source.

Doom said...

To be honest, I don't think God will do a thing to anyone. Just not His gig. He will let you do it to yourself. He didn't create the means to an end, but has allowed man to create it. Though Lucifer did His part. God had to, or could have, known. Lucifer, too, is a child of God, if of a different sort. Then again, not all the angels in heaven will remain. I have heard whispers, that after the select have been selected, one of there sooner or later tasks will be, then, to judge the host... above and below if I think the below's are a lost cause... though who can know for sure. However, this does mean that some of the host on high will all but surely be cast down. But it won't be, and isn't, God, but what God is as a pattern, that will define things. And, I think the bible is clear. Judgement is not a thing of earth. Rain will fall on the heads of the just and unjust. It's just... location, location, location.

I will tell you this, Those who are evil, and kill evil, are better than those who... just flip and accept. Both are going to hell. I think the suiciders sucpect that. It's just... a lesser hell than those who merely condone sin, live it, love it, export it, promote it... and worst? Have pride. The greatest of these, I assure you. Still, pick your backup pal as you so desire. What was Sodom? What was the flood? Fictions? I'll bother your head none the further on this matter.

Who needs to gloat. Can point out some things. I will brave the chase, from time to time. And, if you are looking at me? Look at the time stamps and news history. How can seeing what is coming, and explaining some things, be called gloating? The spirit of some things move some things. Dark spirits, even those who do God's bidding in their own ways, move dark men to do dark things, usually against other dark things. It is the way of it. Stand clear or join in, your call.

H.F. isn't the only useless junk Chinese crap outlet out there. Then again, as companies choke for cash they are tossing their brands into the fire for one more hit of success cocaine. They are sure they dropped some, though, and soon, will be on their hands and knees, sniffing the rugs for their lost junk. None of it was real. That $2b that "got lost" in the Brexit? It never existed. A bit of the curtain behind which the W.o.Oz stands was rent. Little men back there, nothing more. And only in it for themselves. *giggity* Oh, right... the gloat thing. Being on deaths door, I really can't give a squat. Especially since I think if they thought about it, noticed me, or maybe have, tried to kill me. Mice have no place in popular thought... in their opinion. And they have the power and money. As I said, I'm dying... Whoever wants a crack at it, take it. Probably won't work, never has. Doing me a favor, perhaps. And, yet, I'll fight it.

We'll... there... I've said it. If you want me to go, and never come back? Cool. Just type... "word out". Then go gloat.

The Aardvark said...

Doom...
Since you are not a radio or TV preacher, you are safe from my wrath. ;)

These posts are collections of my responses to the wretchedness that is Facebook. Just sharing what is on what we laughingly call my mind. It is a way for me to keep my hand in, blog-wise, and be in some touch with youse guys. I have felt some, I dunno, guilt over my apparent inattentiveness. We have been wonderfully busy, and I have had to triage my time. I'm glad that I don't have cable...I would be angry over the amount of money I would be wasting not watching what I was paying for!

That said, I must awa' to print on third shift, now. I can cigar (with adequate airflow so that smoke does not linger on my work), watch DVDs, and NOT be bugged by telephone calls.

Your input here is ALWAYS welcome, sir.

The Aardvark said...

Michael, Dangit, now I have to watch "The Shoes of the Fisherman" again. I saw it in the theater when it first ran.

Prepping for G-Fest in 2 1/2 weeks. Con Kasterberous was this past weekend. Good con, Colin Baker was the main guest, as well as Caitlin Blackwood "Young Amelia Pond". She is growing up prettily!

Have ein good week.

Doom said...

Oh, all righty. Don't take it harsh, if you did, either way. I'm just getting over fevers, chills, fups and flops. Probably spoiling without realizing anyway. Not that I... completely disagree. Just... as with breaking bread on the Sabbath. Sometimes there is no choice, especially if your ass is in a hole. Wha??? Don't bray at me, it's in the good book just almost as so. :p

For gays, for example... if Christians don't turn them out and turn their back, then they accept, and acceptance is worse than stoning. I still bide that.

Michael W said...

"The Shoes of the Fisherman" is one of those rare movies that I consider better than the book*. Not to rag on Morris West . . . a fine writer . . . but Michael Anderson's direction, along with the Patrick/Kennaway screenplay . . . made for an overall better story. Not to mention the acting. Anthony Quinn as the former Siberian political prisoner struggling to make his way through Vatican politics, Leo McKern as an Italian cardinal, and of course I'll watch Laurence Olivier in practically anything.

(^oh, all right, I feel the same way about "The Guns of Navarone". In my opinion the film was a severe improvement over Alistair MacLean's novel.