Old Time Radio at OTRCat!

Saturday, April 21, 2012









Woke up in a dreadful mood today. Wil Woods, Tyrine the rest of their crew and I went to the Feedlot last night: Golden Corral, and a good time was had by all. I love them dearly. No, the issue was one of input. The food was pretty good, but one must be aware of intake. Hot fudge sundae for dessert. 'Nuff said. I DID eat salad, however. Not with hot fudge. The aftermath was one of Not Feeling Good, and then I started thinking of the state of the world. Again.

I am becoming incredibly weary of Stupid. To say "stupidity" would dignify it all. Just "Stupid". I don't care what sector of society, the world is rife with Stupid, from "scientists" who insist on economy and culture-busting change for an unproven theory whose major proponents have been shown to be frauds, to people trying and convicting a man over the color of his victim (if victim) rather than from the evidence (especially when they weren't there ), to people whose sole identity devolves to which orifice they prefer. And the list goes on. Andy Rooney, where art thou? Militant atheists who, grinding their teeth at a culture consisting largely of Believers of some stripe or other, insist on evangelising people away from faith with snarky billboards and jackassy Facebook pictures. People who believe that "A" and "not A" are both true.

Angry Birds.

People at the con who photograph shirts without asking to send to friends 'cos "that's their favorite character" (If they ask, I have no problem). Churchy people who go beyond instructions (or example) and insist on punching people's tickets for Hellville (whilst conveniently forgetting that Jesus' strongest indictments were leveled at the hidebound religious of His day). Other religious types who, forgetting trivialities like "love your neighbor" and "do unto others as..." choose to disrupt others' mourning to give a hateful message more suited to Mohammed than Jesus.

Yeah.
-------------------------------------


Sandy Shaw and Dirk Pearson were at the forefront of the Life Extension in the 1980s. The programs consisted of taking cocktails of mega-supplements to stave off the ravages of aging. Given the price of those nutritional cocktails, one would need a longer life so as to pay off the mortgage necessary to buy the stuff. Nutritional and other research continues apace to find a way to get beyond the threescore-and-ten barrier, which leads me to a troubling thought. Why should we want to live so much longer?

The most chilling Bible verse I know is the reason given for the Flood. 

The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. (Gen 6:5 ESV)

I started thinking  about the wording ages ago,and was disturbed by my musings. Not merely every thought, but every precursor to every thought was evil, and life extension was a major factor. Because of various factors (a water-shell around the planet that filtered out cosmic rays and UV) lives were 7,8,900 years in length. No truncated telomeres or other genetic badness to shorten lifespans so soon after the creation ("And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so." Gen. 1:7) Lesser lifespans and mutations did not begin until after the Flood, and even then, it took generations for humankind to learn to die quickly. 

The upshot is, before the flood, people had a lo-o-o-o-o-ong time to get very good at being very, very bad. Consider where we have come technologically in 200 years, from sailing ships and horse-drawn conveyances  to rockets, supersonic flight, and bullet trains. Imagine if Einstein or Tesla had enjoyed a 900-year productive lifespan? (It is my personal belief that the antediluvian world was also advanced technologically- they certainly had the time and resources- and that any artifacts on the Moon or Mars exist because mankind made it there before the Flood, and before society devolved enough to require one. Again, it is a personal conceit, not to be mistaken for doctrine.) Auric Goldfinger's bleat makes a great deal of sense:

Man has climbed Mount Everest, gone to the bottom of the ocean. He's fired rockets at the Moon, split the atom, achieved miracles in every field of human endeavor... except crime!

Given our current culture's moral and ethical zombification, the thought of significantly longer lives does not sound a good plan.  

13 comments:

Doom said...

Stupid just is. The upside to stupid is your last set of notions. I think our choices are evil, ignorance, or stupidity, as we can't face Christ all of the time (sort of like only looking at the compass while ignoring the map and the path). I'm not settled on which is worse of the three. Thankfully, there is more to life than just our flaws, and what leads us to them.

As for the last set of notions, I do believe that the human genome had been corrupted by angelic couplings prior to the flood. Men had become giants, nephilim, and it is even suggested were further changing the genomes, actively, of men, beast, and plant. I do agree that "men" where probably much more advanced, definitely than what is commonly thought. Though who can say for sure in what ways or how that took form. Perhaps mere thought, deus ex machina, the mind as a nearly perfect machine. Don't know. The stories of Atlantis support the notion that people believed there was at least one very advanced group of men. Though there are tales of other races of men who... seem mythical. I would even say the old gods, giants, and titans of lore could fit this role, easily.

As for longevity, I was remembering today... If I do happen to send a curse, it will be that you live more than just a full life, but many lifetimes. If that came to pass and you remembered, you would hate me, sincerely, until you could finally rest. Death isn't a curse at all. It is, in this world, fallen as it is, a gift. The old saying that only the good die young is more than just a mouthful. Dry, that saying, and true.

Michael W said...

Golden Corral is a good idea in theory. The problem is that the few times I've gone there the operative word has been more "Corral" than "Golden". It seems like every family descends upon the place and, worse, feels obligated to let their undisciplined brats run free.

Anyway . . .

"I don't care what sector of society, the world is rife with Stupid".

So it's not just me. I sort of feel better now. I also feel that the miracle of modern communication has not only allowed our species to come closer, but it's opened the floodgates for the nastier sides of humanity to proliferate. A brief stroll through the comment boards at Yahoo or IMDb more and more assumes the dimensions of crawling naked through a field of nettles.

People who're more socially outgoing than I am (cough cough my younger sister cough cough) routinely ask me why I'm not on Facebook/Twitter/etc/etc, and they have difficulty understanding that I don't really like a lot of the world and strive to keep it at arm's length.

As for a longer life . . . I sometimes feel it'd be a great idea (more time for reading). And then I look at the news and discover that Levon Helm (or someone else significant to me) has died. Worse, there's no sign of such people being replaced by individuals of similar or superior ability. Bit by bit the world becomes less attractive, and I now find myself wondering if I'd kick too much if the Grim Reaper knocked on my door with a delivery.

Fortunately, though, Man proposes and God disposes, and I suspect The Boss has a few more surprises up His sleeve. As usual, I'll have to wait and see.

Doom said...

Glad I'm not the only one who has completely avoided twitter and the rest. Blogging is a little more involved, I think. Although I don't allow my blog to be found on the web (or... to the extent that is possible).

The one thing about favorite writers, actors, musicians or who/what ever passing and not being replaced? I think there is something too that, but... there is another edge. What we liked before, sometimes, we found through social contacts and liked through less mature tastes. I don't know the author about whom you speak, but I know many of my old favorites, Dickens (though already dead), as with Poe, Shakespeare, and others I liked growing up... I don't so much fancy them now. I don't fancy much, the more I realized (especially the classics) were the fountain of much liberal fubar today... they were a point of elitist claptrap commonality. Everyone knew because, well, Dickens said so, of course! Bleh.

Might just be me. Oh, as for some things... If you have the energy, and social contacts, and can take a blind leap of faith... sometimes you might be surprised how many, if hard to find, new and old diamonds in the rough you have missed. Do you have the energy to look and the spuds to deal with the heart-aching failures in your search? Most will be failures. It's... always been that way.

Currently I am looking through music for new and fresh. I really enjoy Siouxsie and the Banshees. Finding a group anything like her is proving impossible. And most modern gothic music is... poor minus. I keep looking. Though, yeah, I see your point here... I would love to have Siouxsie stay healthy/youngish enough to sing me to my grave. A lot of duds in there, but the hits (my hits, not popular necessarily) absolutely rally my spirits.

Michael W said...

Siouxsie & The Banshees! Wonderful group. Their song "Green Fingers" (from "A Kiss In The Dreamhouse") has always been a favorite with me.

Some good comments made about "favorites" (old and new). Since my tastes can be fluid, it becomes something of a personal obligation to continually explore new possibilities. For example: I've been into trance music for several years now and, as a result, have had to go places previously untouched by me (e.g. Filo & Peri, Armin van Buuren, etc.). And, as a militant reader, I'm always on the lookout for new writers to follow (e.g. Lois McMasters Bujold, Eric Flint) as well as older writers I've never read before (e.g. Dorothy Gilman, Rex Stout).

Looking for more music like Siouxsie? Have you tried Nightwish ("Nemo", "The Riddler", "Phantom Of The Opera")? Or perhaps the 69 Eyes ("Brandon Lee")? If you sample any of them let me know what you think.

(Meanwhile, Weatherly's pulling his hair out, wondering what all the hell this has to do with his original post.)

The Aardvark said...

Pulling my hair out...that's rich, I'll say. Ha, ha, it is to laugh.

(It's a buck-and-a-quarterstaff, but I'm not telling him....)

A few years back, the Dread Dormomoo and I developed a fondness for synthpop (hides face..."I know, I know.") from adifferentdrum.com. Met them at an anime show in Raleigh, NC for cri-yi.

Michael W said...

@Weatherly --- synth-pop and Jpop isn't too bad. I've become a fan of both Two-Mix and Nami Tamaki because of the anime soundtrack work they've done. Like Mind In A Box as well.

The Aardvark said...

Most J-pop is beyond my capacity, mainly because of overexposure at cons. I DO admit to a fondness for anime soundtracks, esp. Kanno's work.

Two-mix is fun.

Doom said...

Oh, right, sorry for hijacking the thread. Sometimes I have the discipline and mental tracking of a three year old high on Mountain Dew. But that hair pulling thing was worth it. Didn't see that coming until you snortled, more fun than I've had in a while. Too bad we all don't live closer, that's all, for my part.

Oh, and no, I've been looking online Michael, but those names hadn't popped. I'll dig a bit on those now though. Thankee.

Doom said...

I tried to find a way to contact Michael, but... this seems like this is it? Pardon?

Nightwish is excellent! The 69 Eyes isn't too bad either (reminds me of Billy Idol crossed with Type O Negative)... if the latter is a bit gimmicky they have decent sounds. I posted two vids by Nightwish on my blog. Noice!

The Aardvark said...

Feel free to hijack or Lojack. Enjoy the playground!

The Aardvark said...

Oh...and I meant "corn" rather than "rice". Now maybe the comment makes sense

Michael W said...

@Doom --- I thought you'd like Nightwish. If I had the chops I'd take "The Riddler" and turn it into a Frank Gorshin tribute video.

And, since I had mentioned Mind In A Box to Weatherly recently, you might like their song "Machine Run".

Oops! Type O Negative. I picked up the Bloody Kisses release on the strength of "Blood And Fire" (preferring the "Out Of The Ashes" mix).

The Aardvark said...

G-I-D-B, that culture is just so evil, denying ANY sexual pleasure to women...only allowing them duty, inconvenience and pain.