Old Time Radio at OTRCat!

Saturday, April 07, 2012




If you wish to get your political/historical tractor cranked, read THIS. Mr, McLeod has done a pithy turn on examining where conservatism lost its way...before Buckley and Goldwater. A LONG time.

------------------------

Given our upcoming Day of Remembrance, the Interwebs are rife with religious jokes. Now, I enjoy the occasional jibe at spiritual foibles. Get a preacher, a rabbi, and a priest together, and it's a PARTY, man! Perhaps the funniest joke I ever heard was a Jesus joke, back in high school. I almost died laughing, and it is perhaps best I did not, given that I was laughing at a Jesus joke at the time. Then there is this:



The absurdist humor is just great,shy of the dreadful heresies of the South Park Jesus. The funny  dreadful heresies. The Dread Dormomoo, she in whose mouth butter will not melt, made a reference to "Peter, the first Pope" in a specific context, and so I Netflixed (yes, that is a verb, now) Season 11, episode 5 on Friday night. Hippitus hoppitus, Deus Domine. The whole "what do rabbits and eggs have to do with Jesus' resurrection?" thing.

I can give a pass to a lot, but then there are the "jokes" that aren't, but rather are mean, unpleasant things, or funny things made mean and unpleasant by the commentors. Zombie Jesus type stuff, and worse. But the worst of it is the endless line of comment, people reveling in there own outrageous bravery for having dared, DARED, to poke fun at a faith that has as a tenet "Turn the other cheek".
 Brave souls. Worse still are the "believers" (who I hope are just posing trolls) who object loudly, then invite them all to burn in Hell. If they are True Believers, then thanks for making my job so much easier. 

The biggest joke is God pulling the Universe's greatest con job on Satan, who thought that he would win if he could just off this Jesus character. RIOT! As little as I care for contemporary Christian music, Carman's take on the Easter scene is excellent. Listen if you wish. For my money, there has been no really creative Christian music since the early '90s.



Happy Easter, Happy Lord's Day.

He is risen

He is risen, indeed.




1 comment:

Michael W said...

"Occasional jibes at spiritual foibles". I suppose that applies to my all-time favorite in that category. Interestingly enough I usually see it on t-shirts. It goes something like: "Jesus Saves . . . he passes to Moses . . . Moses shoots! Scores!"

"Worse still are the 'believers' (who I hope are just posing trolls) who object loudly, then invite them all to burn in Hell". Yeah, I tend to sigh at that myself. Someday I'd like a chance to ask Jesus what He thinks about the notion that the people who seem to be defending Him the loudest also come equipped with the personalities of gibbering psychopaths?