Old Time Radio at OTRCat!

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Candy-and-Egg Day!


Just being down with the culture's ability to strip ALL meaning from ANY festival or holiday. This is NOT a new thing. I did a search of "antique Easter cards", and was ovewhelmed by the great cataract of nonsense displayed.





http://media-cache-ec4.pinterest.com/192x/70/18/dc/7018dcafbe9ae6afb9673abdc0cad7d2.jpg
Pussy willow, or RABIES?
































Handsy yout' overcome by rabbit radiation;
Oestre, indeed! Maybe the rabbit won't die.
                                                                                                           







This one is chilling in its implications:








Littering is littering. (I like the style, though)





Get my insulin shot, Millie!
























 Yet, somehow, the truth of the Resurrection, the raison of the
Easter celebrations shone through. Attentive parents, ministers
and teachers managed to pass on that Easter is about the Risen Christ.
The candy and eggs and fluffy bunnies and chicks and ducklings
are perishable window-dressing, imperfectly reflecting the Imperishable Jesus.

I mourn the loss.

The mass-marketing has occluded the Meaning.

Jesus is risen. He is risen, indeed!

A blessed Easter to you all. Go, and celebrate the blessing!











14 comments:

Michael W said...

So many holidays have lost all their original meaning, only to become just another excuse to hold sales at the malls.

I remember in John Ford's "Fort Apache" how the troops at the fort are having a celebration in honor of George Washington's birthday, and can't help but think that contemporary audiences would scratch their heads and wonder why the fuss (especially if there were no shopping malls around)?

Of course, that's presuming contemporary audiences would bother watching "Fort Apache". And while I'm at it, why don't I wish for a pony?

The Aardvark said...

Don't forget the ducky and the Roy Rogers lasso!

Happy Easter!

Michael W said...

An' a Colonel McCauley space helmet, an' a Steve Canyon flight helmet, an' a Jimmy Jet an' a Robot Commando . . .

(Ever since I found that website of classic Sears Wishbooks it's been crazy.)

The Aardvark said...

McCauley...Men in Space?

The Aardvark said...

I may need to do a series on Ivan Tors' non-aquatic offerings.

Remember GOG?

Doom said...

Happy Easter.

I am quite sure Christ does a face-palm from time to time while looking in on us. But too, I am sure He understands the fine lines we sometimes teeter over. We are weak. That is, after all, why He came. *sigh*

I never can keep up on what you guys are discussing. It's rather humbling. When I have time, I do dig on my own though. I'm among masters!

The Aardvark said...

@ Doom - The dirty little secret is that Michael and I make all this stuff up just to perplex you.

...or DO we??!?

Happy Easter to you, too!

Michael W said...

I do remember GOG (a film which doesn't get shown as often as it should. That and several thousand other films I could list).

And yes, I was indeed referring to Men Into Space. Especially the toy version of the helmet worn by William Lundigan (which was de riguer for all boys my age to own).

@Doom --- I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. SF/Genre/Classic toy geeks have their own language and cultural touchstones. If it helps, my brother and sisters and quite a number of my nephews and nieces also have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about most of the time.

Doom said...

T.A.

Wha' chu talkin' bout, Willis? Gah! Don't do that to me! I really thought I was a nerd, and am in certain realms.

Michael,

I lose sleep over wind farts. Never worry about that. I think I am the amalgamation of a woman trying to prove equality, an egghead, and a lost soul. Everything upsets me! Until it's nap time. See, see, curtains for you. See?

Michael W said...

@Doom. No, not curtains Rocky. Not that. Not curtains! You and me . . . we'se pals!

(I always wanted to be a gangster in a 1930s Warner Bros. movie.)

Cunning Dove said...

OT:
Hey Aardvark, I have posted something about Lent & Easter. Just thought I'd let you know in case you wanted to read it.

Jay said...

Ooooooo! Bunnies! ... Ponies?

The Aardvark said...

Wow, CD! Great to see you! Will read.

@Jay - No. Bunnies.

Jay said...

@ Aardvark & Michael W- Have both GOG & The Magnetic Monster. Want to get Riders to the Stars. Don't know of any other Ivan Tors non-aquatic/animal shows/movies.

@ Michael W- Always wanted to be a gangster in a '40s/'50s noir. Tommy Udo! Yeah!

@ Aardvark- No ponies!? ... Awwwwwww ... Ahem! ... Not that I CARE ... uh ...really.