Old Time Radio at OTRCat!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008





    I am a True Believer. For over twenty of your years, I have studied and sought the Tankless Water Heater. They instantly provide hot water on demand, and have models powered by either electricity or gas. We installed one a couple of years ago, and have been happy with the results, though the model we got is slightly smaller than would be ideal for our household. I have been trying to buy a larger propane burning unit as an upgrade, and even filled out the Rinnai dealer finder online. Their local guy called me, and proceeded to talk me out of a tankless, and into installing an old-style boiler. Said it would be more economical.

    It is to laugh.

    Which will be more economical over time: a boiler that keeps water hot 24 hours heating, then reheating as it cools, for water usage of an hour to an hour-and-a-half out of the day, or a heater with no tank, that supplies the precise amount of hot water you need, when you need it?

    I have had two dealers in our area, including Home Depot, to try to convince me that the old-style heat it and hold it boiler is the way to go.

    Feh. I am suspecting a conspiracy here.

      1 comment:

      MacLaren said...

      Ah yes... I looked into that myself.

      The cost is still prohibitive, as much as my nerd-side goes crazy about tanklessness.

      Once the install plus the unit cost was calculated, I had to admit there was no way the silly thing was worth it, no matter how sexy it was. It would have taken me years to hit equilibrium. Labor is expensive.

      But I think they'll get cheaper as compared to the dinosaurian tank type.