Old Time Radio at OTRCat!

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The subjective terrifies me....

The subjective terrifies me.
Anything can happen.
Monsters can come out from under your bed.
Atheist professors can channel Jesus.
God can put the kibosh on a city with a hurricane.

The tyranny of the subjective horrifies me.
I have nothing to go by.
I must figure phenomena out for myself.
Why do plants grow NOW, and not grow THEN?
Why does the Moon disappear into limitless darkness each month?
What must I do for it to come back?
Can I do anything to bring it back?
Why am I happy?
Why am I sad?
Will the Sun rise tomorrow?
Can I do anything to insure its rising?
Will the Dark ever go away?

Behold the rule of the subjective, the experiential. It is harsh. It is scary. It is incomprehensible, especially when my feelings become entwined with natural process, that I do not recognise as process. The World just...HAPPENS to me.

Many religions have arisen from man's attempts to suss out the subjective. Ancient worshippers of Baal and Ashtoreth figured out that if they coupled for their gods, the gods would get turned on, and do the same, thus bringing fertility to the land. Thus was born the first lay ministries.

Enter Yahweh, or Jehovah, as the German theologians dubbed Him. He didn't wait for folks to figure Him out. He was proactive, was Yahweh. He revealed Himself by speaking rationally.
Not oogah-boogah, but "Come let us reason together...". He let it be known what he wanted of the world that He made. He gave us an objective yardstick, a plumbline, as it were, against which to measure. Alas we are measured and found wanting. How can I appease this Deity?
No problem, he set up a plan whereby ultimately we can be like Him, redeemed from our bad selves through His Son Jesus the Messiah.

God, in providing the Objective, freed us from the tyranny of the Subjective.
Katrina, and Ariel Sharon's stroke?
God's not tryin' to tell us Jack...

"God, who at different times and in different manners spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by his Son, whom he has appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;" Hebrews 1:1-2

"God has in these last days spoken to us by his Son." The Gospel of Jesus is how God speaks to us today. Not by smite buttons or plagues, but by His Son. We are free, baby!

No comments: