Old Time Radio at OTRCat!

Monday, May 14, 2007

The only metric which Jesus gave as to our relationship with Him is "If you love me, you will keep My commandments.".

The Dread Dormomoo and I were musing on this, and she adopted a Southern persona " Well, Ah went to church, and sang, and waved mah arms, and I got such a GOOD feeling. Ah jest LUV Jee-zus.".

Trust me, you do not wish to witness it in person.

We have both run the gamut from Charismania to the Restoration. We have lived through rampant emotionalism, unregulated spiritual gifts, Name-It-And-Claim-It "Saturday's comin'!" faith walk miseries, to legalistic bloodless American Protestantism. The metric is inviolate.


"If you love me, you will keep My commandments."

You may make Protestations Sincere, that your heart is FULL of the Love of Jesus, and Love FOR Jesus, but if you are not following His commandments, then your heart is full of Something Else.

Here endeth the lesson.

2 comments:

Billiam said...

Well said, Sir! I am a sinner. I try to follow them, but, often fail. He gives me strength to get up and start again.

Doom said...

Oh, and that causes me no end to trouble. At my very best I am not going to make it and I am not at my very best almost ever.

It's like when you are driving, you are late, you look at your watch, at the spedometer, and at the mile marker. You won't be late, can't be, because the place isn't open after the time, yet you keep driving knowing there is no way for you to make it. I guess I am set on that path, I will not stop or quit in spite of knowledge.

It's not even about being perfect, that delusion is gone. It's not about being right or thinking correctly, I know only that I cannot. It's not about how I feel, the sensual is quixotic and as deadly as bread if the sole source of sustenance. Simply following Christ's invitation to the table, I'm not sure I am doing that. As a fact, I am sure I am not.

I am hoping he finds a way as I leave the door open for Him and the Holy Spirit through faith to dwell in me and guide me to charity. For I have failed and will surely die, beyond, deserve that death no doubt.